Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Week 1, Thing 2, 7 and 1/2 Habits of Successful Lifelong Learning

I really enjoyed learning about the 7 and 1/2 habits of successful lifelong learning. Many of the habits I was familiar with, but watching the video reminded me of how little I actually do them and how much more I could encorporate them into my teaching. The step that really described how I learn was step 7, teach/mentor others because it is the best way to learn. I have always found that when taking a course I do not fully understand the material until I have to explain it to someone else, yet when I am teaching a class or in a class assisting the teacher I find that mostly the teacher is teaching. I would love to find more ways to get the students teaching eachother.

I fully agree with step 7 and 1/2! It is so true that if I am not having fun learning something I am not motivated to do it, and typically only do what I have to do to complete the course rather than taking the time to learn the material. In fact one of the reason that I took this course is because the teachers I work with are, and we planned to all work on it together after school. So, instead of it being something I dread going home to, I am enjoying staying after school and being with coworkers learning new things. This is also very true of the students I work with. I am team teaching math to a very chatty 5th grade class, and all year it has been a struggle to keep them at a dull roar. Well, the other day we did a lesson where they had to draw and for the first time the entire class was quiet for not a few seconds, but the entire period. Not only were they enjoying what they were doing but they were learning!

I will definately be sharing the 7 and 1/2 steps with other educators!

No comments: