Friday, February 22, 2008

Week 5, Thing 11, Award Winners & Ning

I looked at a book website, biblio.com, and I thought it was pretty good. Being a recent college graduate I am familiar with lots of book websites, especially those with discount textbooks. This site had numerous books all for reasonable prices and even a variety of very cheap used books. Sites like these are great for new teachers, like myself, because it is a cheap way to begin building a classroom library. If you are in need of books and do not have a lot to spend I would definately recommend biblio.com.

I also looked at Ning, and while it looks like a great way to connect with people, it didn't really appeal to me personally. I am not someone who likes to be a member of every group online, especially when it involves posting personal information or pictures of myself. The site reminded me a lot of facebook and myspace, and I believe that an account at any one of such sites is enough. They all have their numerous groups you can join and way to post your thoughts which can be very useful and addicting at the same time. I think that if I were to become a more active user of such a site I could easily find myself spending hours doing nothing but reading other's posts. I also see the positives of such sites - it is an easy way to keep in touch with others. I have definately used facebook as a way of keeping in touch with many of my high school and college friends and I think it is great for that.

No comments: